4b. A few of my favourite things

Since it was so busy this thanksgiving weekend I decided to forgo the homemade donuts and instead make something with the ingredients I had in the house to avoid the chaos of grocery stores. I remembered one of my favourite recipes I had ever tasted that one of my friends made me a few months ago. It involved one of my favourite flavours and smells in the world, Lavender. Luckily one of my good friends has been growing lavender in her backyard and offered me a few bushels of dried heads to fund the project. I decided to attempt lavender honey scones. I found a fairly simple looking recipe online and jumped right in. The most time consuming part was taking off all of the dried seed pods from the stalks to get two tablespoons full, but the entire time pleasant, soothing aromas were wafting off the plants so I was in good company. My stress seemed to evaporate away. Here is my shortened version of the recipe found at https://artofnaturalliving.com/2017/08/13/honey-lavender-scones-isw2017/

Ingredients
  • 2 cups unbleached flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 Tablespoon dried lavender buds
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 4 Tablespoon butter
  • 2 eggs (1 Tablespoon reserved to brush scones)
  • 6 Tablespoons honey
  • ¼ cup cream or milk
  • Coarse sugar for decorating (1-2 teaspoons)

Instructions
  • Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, lavender and salt
  • Cut in the room temperature butter
  • In a separate bowl mix eggs (save a tablespoon of mixed egg for egg wash), milk, and honey
  • Mix in wet ingredients until dough consistency is formed
  • knead into desired shape on flour covered counter (two 3x9inch rectangles)
  • Slice the dough into 12 triangles
  • place on parchment paper and place in oven at 400 F for 12 minutes
  • cool and enjoy

They turned out amazing, warm, sweet and full of flavour! No toppings needed, butter and honey can be added but I was able to enjoy fresh out of the oven!

2 Responses

• This looks great Zach! I love how you structured your post touching first on the process of deciding what it was you were going to make that week, then moving onto a recipe breakdown with instructions and finally concluding with images throughout the process. This made me feel in touch with the post on a personal level.

Something I could see working well with your posts would be to include images of the different steps as you go through the instructions. Love the post and sounds so delicious I may just have to steal the recipe!