7. Bringing ideas into the physical world

Learning about 3d printing and modelling was one of the highlights of discussion for this week. Using TinkerCAD we were able to design 3D objects for printing in a future class. We were given a number of choices of objects to make with premade lesson plans for each but I decided to go my own direction and try to create something else. I decided to try to create a physical image of the logo for my music project “LVMENS” to put on a desk at home. It is based off of a ZWS which are my initials. The fact that I was able to easily grasp the basic premise of the program immediately and create my own design speaks to its ease of use and user friendliness. This could be adapted to work in a classroom in many ways. Students could be given the opportunity to print different molecules, create art projects, or figures from a story. The possibilities are quite endless, having a 3D printer available on campus makes a whole new world of ideas possible. From a teachers point of view, it is an easy and cheap way to print classroom objects like headphone stands, small movie or theatre props, or personalized name tags for desks. Giving students the opportunity to print from it with designs they are interested in also gets them into the computer lab and engaging with the programs which may open the door to other creative passions they would not have known existed. Attached below is a short video demonstration showing my design and me interacting with it.

LVMENS logo by Zach Smith